The Italian government has introduced a new biometric (electronic/digital) residence document for UK nationals
In line with the provisions set out in the Withdrawal Agreement between the United Kingdom and the European Union, the Italian government has introduced a new biometric (electronic/digital) residence document for UK nationals and their family members.
- If you were living in Italy before 1 January 2021 you should apply for this document to exercise the rights recognised by the Withdrawal Agreement.
- If you have been legally resident in Italy for over 5 years, you will be eligible for permanent residency and a 10-year renewable residency document.
- If you have been resident in Italy for fewer than 5 years, you will be eligible for a document with 5 years’ validity.
The electronic residence document is issued by the Police Headquarters (Questura) of the province where you, the UK national, reside.
Please ensure you read the Italian government’s guidance on the supporting documentation you will need to provide.
Family members of the UK national must submit the following documents:
- a valid identity document
- a copy of the residence document in electronic format issued by the Police Headquarters to the U.K. national or
- a copy of the certificate of registration of the U.K. national proving registration for the residence permit by 31st December 2020
- a document issued by a valid authority of the country of origin or provenance, certifying the status of family member of the UK national
- receipt of payment of € 30.46 equal to the production cost of the document, made by postal order on CC no. 67422402 (account holder “MEFDIP.TODEL TESORO VERS: DOVUTO RILASCIO CARTADI SOGGIORNO” including the reason for payment: “Importoper il rilascio della carta di soggiorno – Accordo direcesso UE/ UK”)
- 4 passport-sized photographs.
Bilingual support, assistance and information are professionally provided by Green Hills of Umbria.